In summer, when zucchinis of all sizes are $1.50 at the farmer’s market (or your neighbour is giving them away) use 1 monster zuke in this recipe. In the winter, by necessity, I use the organic baby zucchinis from Mexico. These are fabulous reheated!
- 6-7 baby zucchinis
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 6-8 sliced mushrooms
- 2 lbs ground meat (pastured beef, bison, lamb, elk, chicken or turkey; use a combination)
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 1 finger fresh turmeric, peeled & minced (if you can’t find fresh, use ground)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Himalayan salt (or similar)
Fry onion, if using, in 1 Tbsp fat until golden brown. Add remaining ingredients to the pan, stirring occasionally until meat is just cooked.
Meanwhile, remove the stem end & cut the zucchinis lengthwise. With a sharp paring knife slice out the seeds to make a concavity in each ‘canoe’. Lay zucchini halves close together, cut side up on a baking tray. Melt remaining fat & brush onto each canoe.
Fill each canoe with the meat mixture, heaping it up on top & between the canoes as necessary.
Bake 40 minutes.
If some or all of the canoes are destined for reheating, remove them after 30 minutes.
Make packages of 2 (or more) canoes with tinfoil & refrigerate. Pop a package into the oven the moment you get home from work or whenever you need a snack.
Add a sliced avocado (& maybe some sauerkraut) & call it breakfast!